Sunday 20 November 2011

Herman Cake

I'd like you all to meet Herman! Yes he is a cake, one that was given to make by my friend's mum and he is very yummy! I'd never heard of these cakes until a few weeks ago when my mum received one too! I think it is such a cute idea to make a cake that you can split up and pass on! I made mine with the ingredients suggested but you can add whatever you like! I hope the baby Herman's I passed on are growing well!



These are almost the same instructions I received with my cake(mine also said you should talk to your cake when stirring) but I took them from here


Herman is a friendship cake which you can’t buy, but you can give him away. He grows slowly but surely because of the yeast in him. It is usually 10 days before you can eat him.
Herman doesn’t have to be kept in the fridge and doesn’t require a lid – just covering him with a tea towel is sufficient. Herman grows at room temperature.

If you would like to spread a little friendship follow through instructions below and at end of 10 days you will have a cake to eat and four starter kits to pass on.

If you cannot wait to have your cake and eat it, go straight to day 10, but you will fore go the opportunity to pass on some friendship.


Day 1: Today Herman is given to you. Put him in a big bowl (At least 4pt capacity). Cover Herman loosely so he can breathe. A tea towel or loose lid is ideal.

Days 2 & 3: Stir Herman 2-3 times a day with a wooden spoon (do not use metal, and which you can leave in the bowl)

Day 4: Herman is hungry. Give him the following:-
200mls milk
200g self-raising flour
250g sugar

Days 5, 6, 7 & 8: Stir Herman

Day 9: Herman is hungry again. Give him the same ingredients you gave him on Day 4. Stir well then divide him into 5 equal parts. Give 4 baby Hermans away with a copy of this sheet. (or keep one back for yourself to grow and redistribute to other friends) Keep the 5th portion to bake.

Day 10: Herman is absolutely starving. He needs a holiday. He likes to go to a hot resort. The oven is his favourite. Pre-heat oven to 170ºC (150ºC fan-assisted oven) and grease a cake tin generously. Prepare him for his holiday using one of the following:-

1. Fruit cake Recipe:
150g self-raising flour,
100g  raisins,
200mls oil,
half teaspoon of baking powder,
2 teaspoons cinnamon,
3 eggs, 2 grated apples,
Bake in loaf tin or 9” x 9“ cake tin



1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I was just wondering what to bring to my Thanksgiving Dinner at my Aunt's-- this cake would be perfect! XO
    real budget, real busy, real body fashion:
    4scarlet.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments, they always make me smile :)